Now that income tax season is underway, Tarrant County College is continuing its tradition of partnering with the United Way to offer the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. People who earn $58,000 or less annually, persons with disabilities and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance preparing their own return are eligible for assistance with basic tax return preparation and electronic filing. Each return undergoes a quality review, which enables VITA to have fewer rejected returns than most programs.
TCC locations for VITA are open through April 15. Only the TCC Southeast site will remain open during Spring Break during the week of March 9-13. The three sites are:
- TCC South at the Family Empowerment Center, 5301 Campus Drive. Hours are Tuesday and Thursday, from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.At TCC South in 2019, 511 individuals/families were assisted, generating $590,582 in tax refunds.
- TCC Southeast, 2100 Southeast Parkway (Portable EMBC), Arlington. Hours are Tuesday through Thursday, from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m., and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. TCC Southeast accounting students are serving as volunteer tax preparers trained by the Internal Revenue Service.In 2019, the TCC Southeast accounting program provided 37 students and assisted 534 individuals/families with their 2018 returns, generating $922,312 in the total refunds. Two families/individuals saved $4,000. TCC Southeast account students also worked at VITA sites at the Shadow Brook Center and Hugh Smith Recreation Center.
- TCC Trinity River, 300 Trinity Campus Circle, Academic Advising Hub, Trinity River Clear Fork (TRCF) 2101A, Fort Worth. Hours for three days only in February: Tuesdays, Feb. 12 and 19; and Monday, Feb. 17, are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
To locate the site from the parking garage, from the second floor in the Trinity River Building, known as Main Street, take the escalators down to TRCF. Questions about the TCC Trinity Vita site may be directed to Deidra R. Turner, Ph.D., director of Counseling at firstname.lastname@example.org or 817-515-1280.
To take advantage of VITA services in 2020, eligible participants must provide:
- Proof of identification – Picture ID
- Social Security Cards for family members or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for family members
- Wage and earning statements Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Students receiving financial aid and/or scholarships may also need Form 1098
- Cash income amount and work expenses
- 1095 Health coverage form
- Copies of last year’s federal and state tax returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check
Questions about VITA tax services may be directed to the 24-hour hotline at 2-1-1, or referred to freetaxdfw.com.