Tarrant County College students ranked among the best in the nation at the Business Professionals of America (BPA) leadership conference this month in Anaheim, California.
The seven students, who represented TCC Northwest, competed against 500 others from community colleges and universities across the country in workplace skills assessments. Contests included written tests as well as scenario-based exercises. TCC’s students received multiple commendations, including:
- 1st place, financial analyst team: Kelly Farr, Matthew Musgrove, Edwin Revolorio
- 1st place, C++ programming: Joline Sikora
- 2nd place, prepared speech: Jonathan McNamee
- 3rd place, management, marketing and human resources concepts: Kelly Farr
- 3rd place, human resources management: Anna Melaun
- 4th place, parliamentary procedures concepts: Anna Melaun
- 7th place, digital marketing concepts: Kelly Farr
- 7th place, interview skills, Jonathan McNamee
- 7th place, business meeting management concepts: Joline Sikora
- 8th place, digital communication and design concepts: Kelly Farr
- 9th place, computer programming concepts: Joline Sikora
- 11th place, personal finance management: Dakota Bush
- 11th place, administrative support concepts: Joline Sikora
- 12th place, information technology concepts: Kelly Farr
- 12th place, parliamentary procedures concepts: Kelly Farr
- 12th place, project management concepts: Kelly Farr
- 12th place, digital communication and design concepts: Anna Melaun
- 13th place, information technology concepts: Joline Sikora
In addition to receiving awards at the BPA national leadership conference, many of the students earned industry certifications that will help distinguish them in their job searches.
“This conference gives our students the opportunity to demonstrate their skills and preparedness for their future careers on a national level,” said Jaye Simpson, associate professor of business at TCC Northwest and co-adviser to the campus’s BPA student team. “We are so proud of what they’ve accomplished and look forward to seeing them succeed professionally in the years to come.”
Since 2009, the TCC Northwest chapter of BPA has won 42 national awards. TCC is the only community college in Texas to take part in BPA contests; those who qualified for the national conference competed against business students at four-year universities throughout the state.
“Our students have been preparing for the national leadership conference since last fall, and we are gratified that they received the recognition they deserve,” said Julie Russell, TCC Northwest associate professor of economics and the team’s co-advisor. “In addition, TCC Northwest BPA students are supported by numerous faculty and staff members who give their time, talents and resources to ensure we are ready to compete at such a high level, and we are thankful for their contributions.”
The College offers a variety of business, management and administration programs, including accounting, entrepreneurship and small business management, fashion merchandising, marketing and office technology. Explore programs at tccd.edu/academics.