Tax Services Offered at Tarrant County College

For the third consecutive year, Tarrant County College is partnering with United Way in their Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. Community members who earn $50,000 or less annually are eligible for assistance with basic tax return preparation and electronic filing. Each return has a quality review, which enables VITA to have fewer rejected returns than most programs.
“United Way appreciates its partnership with TCC in this important endeavor because we are able to assist students and families with a high-quality tax return,” said Sue Matkin, vice president of community development for United Way. “We can ensure they receive all the tax credits for which they are eligible. This saves the average tax filer around $300, which they can use for other family expenses.”
TCC locations for VITA are:
• South Campus Family Empowerment Center, 5301 Campus Drive, through Apr. 7.
• Southeast Campus, 2100 Southeast Parkway, Arlington, through Apr. 15. Accounting students from the Southeast Campus are serving as volunteer tax preparers trained by the Internal Revenue Service.
• TCC Opportunity Center, 5901 Fitzhugh Avenue, through Apr. 15.
To take advantage of VITA services, eligible participants must provide:
• Proof of identification – Picture ID
• Social Security Cards for family members or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
• Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for family members
• Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
• Birth dates for all family members on the return
• Wage and earning statements Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
• Copies of last year’s federal and state tax returns, if available
• Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
• Total paid for daycare and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number)
• To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign required forms
Matkin says those with questions on VITA tax services can call the 24-hour hotline at 2-1-1, or refer to